Eat Your Onions!
Don't let painful, watery eyes stop you from adding onions to your cooking.
They have so many health benefits. See my onion chopping tip below!
1. They are high in nutrients, such as vitamin C and B vitamins, as well as potassium.
2. They have antioxidants, which reduce oxidative stress causing premature aging on cells and inflammation.
3. Quercetin, one of the flavonoids found in onions, has been shown to reduce inflammation, cholesterol, and triglycerides, proving to be a heart healthy food.
4. Quercetin, as well as sulfur compounds also found in onions, has also been shown to help control blood sugar in individuals with prediabetes and diabetes.
5. Food in the Allium Genus, such as onions and garlic, have cancer fighting compounds, specifically in stomach and colorectal cancers.
6. Onions are a strong antibacterial and has been shown to fight against H.Pylori, staph bacterias including MRSA, E.Coli and more.
7. Onions boost digestive health as a prebiotic food which is a non-digestible fiber that is broken down by the probiotics that live in your gut. This creates the short chain fatty acids (SCFA), acetate, propionate and butyrate. These SCFAs strengthen gut health, your immune system, reduces inflammation and enhances digestion.
8. The enhanced digestion caused by a diet high in prebiotic foods, such as onions, creates better digestion and absorption of key nutrients, such as calcium, therefore showing an increase in bone density specifically in postmenopausal women.
If your eyes are as sensitive as mine when chopping onions, try these grilling goggles! They are a life saver!